05 January 2017

The Card Concept Challenge 64 - Pretty Things

The Card Concept Challenge for this week is Pretty Things. The inspiration is so gorgeous, it has so much to inspire any style of card.


For my card, I used five of the elements from the image.
The card background is a soft, grey, marbled paper that I adhered to a card base with double sided sticky paper.
For the gold stripes I freehand brushed stripes in foil glue, let it dry, then brushed foil leaf over the top. (one day I will shout myself a foiling machine) I must say though, I do like the organic, not so perfect stripes.
I made the black dot background by dabbing black ink, on white card, using the end of the dropper from the ink bottle. Once again, I like the organic shapes. I used a Spellbinders circle die to cut the shape.
The flowers and stems are Stampers Anonymous Flower Garden stamps. These aren't the original flowers for the card. The first set was coloured with Brusho powder, sprinkled and sprayed. However, after living with the card for 24 hours the flowers started to look diseased rather than pretty!! LOL. What can I say, I had a moment. The colours of these flowers are a little more intense than I would have liked, I started out too dark in layering for shadow and light. I do love a more rustic, textured finish, hence the rough colouring. I used Distress Ink.
The happy birthday is a favourite, I love the Font.  Avery Elle Hand Written Notes Sentiment using
Hero arts white embossing powder.




Here are the links to the design team's blogs:-

Becca Cruger

Karen Davis (you are here)



Come and play along with us at The Card Concept   

Have a great week.

12 comments:

Michele K. Henderson said...

Beautiful card, Karen! I love the bright colorful flowers and those imperfect stripes too! Gorgeous! Have a warm and wonderful 2017!
Michele

Becca Cruger said...

As a fellow lover of all things distressed, your flower coloring gets two thumbs WAY up from me! I'm glad that the diseased ones didn't make the cut. haha. Looooove the haphazard stripes in the background, too!

I Card Everyone said...

Hi Karen!!! Gosh it has been far too long since my last visit ... LOve this gorgeous bouquet! and very curious about that brushos one =]

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Oh I just love those gorgeous blooms! And the gold striped background is fabulous!
Happy 2017!

Bonnie said...

What a gorgeous card, Karen! I love your gold stripes and black dots, but the flowers take the stage! Beautiful job of coloring! Happy New Year!

Karren said...

Just gorgeous, Karen! Your striped background looks fabulous - I love the hand-drawn look of it behind those beautiful flowers.

Susan Powell said...

ohhhh I LOVE the background stripes you made - the fact that they're not perfectly straight makes them perfect! Gorgeous card!

Julie Gearinger said...

Karen, this card is gorgeous! Love the gold stripes as well as that beautiful bouquet of blossoms :-) You are such an inspiration, my friend- hugs and have a great week!

Rahmat said...

Bold and vibrant colors on your flowers Karen, its beautiful!

My Paper Epiphany said...

I definitely agree with you about the organic dots and stripes - much more character! The way you've pulled all the elements together is fantastic and your flowers are gorgeous!

laurie said...

What a great take on the photo! I love the gold striped background!!!

Jen Timko said...

This is so lovely! Your coloring on the flowers is really gorgeous and the gold and polka dots are perfect for the inspiration!